Gay & Lesbian Counseling
This is a time of great challenge and great opportunity for gay and lesbian people. Now is the time to keep moving forward. In these uncertain times, it's more important than ever to be a healthy individual and a strong couple.
Are you gay, lesbian, or questioning, and looking for a therapist who gets you, who can really relate to you? I provide counseling and psychotherapy for the issues that are specific to the gay and lesbian community. I have 18 years of experience working closely with gay and lesbian clients and couples. I'm Erik Edler, LMFT, located in San Luis Obispo (SLO), and I am happy to serve the gay and lesbian communities of the Central Coast. I'm afraid my scope of practice doesn't include transgender clients and issues, but I would be happy to help you find a referral if needed.
Gay and lesbian issues are an area of therapy where finding a therapist you relate to,"click" with, and trust is an even more important and fundamental part of therapy, since it is the foundation for all the work and growth that follows. Lesbian and gay clients can rest assured that they have found a safe, supportive, affirming therapist with me. Please click on any of the topics listed below for more information:
My Areas of Expertise - please click on the links below
- Therapy for Gay Men
- Therapy for Lesbian Women
- Gay & LesbianDepression Counseling
- Gay & LesbianAnxiety Counseling
- Gay & Lesbian Life Transitions
- Gay Midlife Counseling
- Lesbian Midlife Counseling
- Gay & Lesbian Coaching
- Gay & LesbianFaith & Spirituality
In the field of psychology, we believe that having any part of your true self repressed or split off is bound to give rise to anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or other difficulties.
It's up to you to decide how you want to express your sexuality, but to do so wisely and well, it will require some thought and reflection. Therapy provides a confidential, supportive environment to explore the issues you may have concerning your sexuality. I am a Central Coast therapist who can help you work through your feelings and find answers to your questions.
I am here to help you explore, discover, understand, and work through your sexuality, wherever you may fall on the spectrum of sexuality. If you're working on coming out, if you feel lonely, struggle with self-doubt or low self-esteem, have questions about your sexuality, or wonder how to live your best and most fulfilling life, I would be happy to talk with you and provide the help and support that you need.
Are you dealing with any of the following issues? I would be happy to help.
- Coming to terms with your sexuality
- Coming out: how, when, and to whom
- Finding a good relationship
- Working through relationship conflicts & difficulties
- Setting the "rules" and dealing with cheating
- Coming out later in life, possibly already married to an opposite-sex spouse & possibly with kids
- Whether or not you should get married to a same-sex partner
- Are you really right for each other? Should you get legally married?
- Depression and anxiety issues
- Self-acceptance and self-confidence
- Feelings of shame, guilt, or low self-esteem
- Feelings of rejection or isolation
- Drugs, alcohol, and codependency
- Finding a partner who wants a long-term relationship
- Mending broken hearts and learning to trust again
- Anger and arguments
- Gay parenting challenges
- Having a healthy, mature, balanced sexuality & sexual expression
- Sorting out issues of faith and spirituality
- Rejection by your church
- Managing difficult relationships with extended family